A delicious selection of book reads for the weekend, especially if you are going to make it a long one with the 4th of July holiday. Enjoy!
- “All-American Murder: The Rise and Fall of Aaron Hernandez, the Superstar Whose Life Ended on Murderers’ Row” by James Patterson and Alex Abramovich is actually a piece of non-fiction about the young and exceptionally gifted NFL player who murdered his fiancee’s sister’s partner. After being convicted and on a life sentence in prison he committed suicide at the age of 27. Based on court testimony, legal documents and reporting from various key sources, the book story tells what happened, the mindset of the young player and the personal demons he was battling with. It’s a quick read too if you are short on time. Grab a copy at: https://amzn.to/2N0unnx
2. “Shelter in Place” by Nora Roberts, set in Maine, Portland, is another fabulous thriller of a conspiracy to kill years after a terror attack. Packed with suspense, romance and an exploration of family and friendships, “Shelter in Place” serves as a gripping novel from a seasoned author. Get your copy at: https://amzn.to/2K7dCtg
3. Two-time Booker Prize finalist Deborah Levy examines life, love, family and what it means to be a woman in a world optimised for men and children in “The Cost of Living”. Grab a copy at: https://amzn.to/2tDvkcV
4. Part of Oprah’s 2018 Summer Book Club collection, “The Sun Does Shine: How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row” by Anthony Ray Hinton is a memoir about Hinton’s fifteen-year fight for justice for 2 murder crimes he did not commit in a landmark case of the highest order. A story of loss and the ultimate quest for survival. Grab a copy at: https://amzn.to/2N1QxWO
5. Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child’s novel “The Pharaoh Key” for the Egyptologist wannabes who enjoy a bit of mystery and suspense. The perfect mix of adventure and historical fiction. Grab your copy at: https://amzn.to/2MXSSSA
6. A collection of short stories, filled with humour and sharp observations of real life, “Calypso” by David Sedaris, will make you feel like you are hanging out with your favourite quirky friends — the ones who make you feel glad you are not one of them but whose company, thoughts, insight and stories you enjoy very much. Grab a copy at: https://amzn.to/2tuFa1q
7. And for the foodies: Anthony Bourdain’s “Kitchen Confidential” — an outrageously funny memoir by the legendary chef and documentarian as he takes you on a journey of the culinary underworld revealing saucy secrets of the trade. Grab a copy at: https://amzn.to/2KkU8Rb
A big hello and thank you for reading! Passionate about literature, psychology, and life I launched Book Therapy as an alternative form of therapy using the power of literature. I create reading lists/personalised book prescriptions based on your individual needs, this is my signature personalised reading service. You can also check out Book Therapy’s other free reading lists and A- Z of book prescriptions (covering both fiction and non-fiction). These suggest books based on your existing life situation (e.g. anxiety, job change, relationship heartache) as well as interests (e.g memoir, historical fiction, non-fiction, crime etc). There’s also one for children, Children’s A — Z of Book Prescriptions. Feel free to check out the blog for more literary gems. There’s also a post on my personal story of how I entered the world of bibliotherapy and book curation. And if you’d like to connect, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or www.booktherapy.io.
Book Therapy is a participant in the Amazon EU, US and Canada Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com and Amazon.ca